Bienvenue au blog "Reviews & Revues" ou vous trouverez, j'espere, des informations interesantes sur les films, livres, musique et autres interets.

Welcome to my blog where you will find some interesting info i hope on all my interests in the form of reviews of movies, books, music or other.

Expanded rating system:

Entertainment rating: Are you having fun (10), is this too long and boring(1)

Cast/acting rating: good actors, good performance(10)

Artistic rating: What is the artistic value for this film, will it be a classic(10)

Reflexion rating: does the movie stimulate any provocative though(10)

Production rating: how well produced is the film, good FX(10)

Adult factor: is the film children ready for sex, violence, gore(10)

Wide audience: is this film opened for all tastes(10) or genre specific(1)

Overall personnal rating: My view on the worth of that movie to guide your choice

vendredi 7 janvier 2011

#145: A few good men, Movies recommended or seen lately... les films a voir

Genre: Drama/Drame

Annee/Year: 1992

Format: Blu Ray

A few good men. Some directors are good in one genre others can excel in multiple genres. This is the case of Rob Reiner who directed many movies in the 80's and 90's. Rob brought us This is spinal tap, Stand by me, Misery, When Harry met Sally, Ghost of Missisipi amongst others. But A few good men will stay as one of the gems that Reiner brought us. This movie starts with a stellar cast: Tom Cruise (as the main character who is a lawyer), Jack Nicholson (as Colonel Jessep), Demi Moore (Lt Galloway Defense lawyer), Kevin Bacon (as Capt Ross prosecutor attorney), Kiefer Sutherland (Lt Kendrick), also casting Kevin Pollack, Cuba Gooding jr, Noah Wyle, JT Walsh and more. What a crew. They had me after Nicholson came on board. One of his good roles which he really plays right.

The story of this movie is about two marines who accidentaly kill one of their fellow when they are asked to do a code red on him. This sad event is thought to be standard fare in the marines in order to keep man in line; but officially the practice is discouraged by the core. Nicholson plays the Colonel hard ass who runs the tough base of Guantanamo bay and runs his ship as the frontline before the battle. He actually ordered his subordinates to do the code red on the murdered kid in order to teach him and make him walk staright. Cruise and Moore play the roles of the hot head young attorney and the chick lawyer who lives by the book. Together they try to find a way to win this and get the two marines who really believe they did what was asked of them. The tension in the movie builds and builds and you really feel like you get into the psychology of the characters. Beautiful. A movie to be seen by the younger ones and to be viewed agin if you have seen it a long time ago. The Blu ray transfer is a good occasion to revisit this experience. Although not a perfect transfer as some seen lately; it is a fairly clean version which makes it a good experience. Definitely a classic on the long run.

Des hommes d'honneur. Rob Reiner a réussi la direction de plusieurs genres de films avec succès pendant les années 80 et 90. Rob nous a donne: This is spinal tap, Stand by me, Misery, When Harry met Sally, Ghost of Missisipi et plus. Des hommes d'honneur (A few good men ) demeurera cependant un des joyaux de Reiner. Ce film met en vedette une distribution de reve: Tom Cruise (en avocat et caractère principal), Jack Nicholson (Colonel Jessep), Demi Moore (Lt Galloway avocat de la défense), Kevin Bacon (Capt Ross avocat prosécuteur), Kiefer Sutherland (Lt Kendrick), également Kevin Pollack, Cuba Gooding jr, Noah Wyle, JT Walsh et plus.

Ce film deviendra un classique. Le script du film est tres solide et nous raconte la tragédie de deux mariniers qui sont en poste dans la baie de Guantanamo. Ayant été donné l'ordre de donner une correction a un collègue récalcitrant; ils le tuent par erreur. Le colonel et ses adjudants refusent d'en prendre la responsabilité. C'est a ce point que Cruise qui joue le rôle du jeune avocat brillant et égoïste doit mettre de l'eau dans son vin et faire équipe avec une avocate tres sévère. Le film construit une tension qui monte tout au long du film et qui aboutit au climax a la fin du film. Tres bien menée. À voir ou revoir. La sortie du Blu-ray est une bonne occasion de revoir ce grand film.

Great quotes:
Col. Jessep: I run my unit how I run my unit. You want to investigate me, roll the dice and take your chances. I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 Cubans who are trained to kill me, so don't think for one second that you can come down here, flash your badge, and make me nervous.
...
Col. Jessep: You see Danny, I can deal with the bullets, and the bombs, and the blood. I don't want money, and I don't want medals. What I do want is for you to stand there in that faggoty white uniform and with your Harvard mouth extend me some fucking courtesy. You gotta ask me nicely.
Kaffee: You and Dawson, you both live in the same dreamworld. It doesn't matter what I believe. It only matters what I can prove! So please, don't tell me what I know, or don't know; I know the LAW.
Galloway: You know nothing about the law. You're a used-car salesman, Daniel. You're an ambulance chaser with a rank. You're nothing. Live with that.
...
Col. Jessep: Do you have any more questions for me, Counselor?
Judge Randolph: Lt. Kaffee? [pause]
Judge Randolph: Lieutenant, do you have anything further for this witness? [Jessep defiantly gets up to leave the courtroom]
Col. Jessep: Thanks, Danny. I love Washington.
Kaffee: Excuse me. I didn't dismiss you.
Col. Jessep: I beg your pardon?
Kaffee: I'm not finished with my examination. Sit down.
Col. Jessep: Colonel!
Kaffee: What's that?
Col. Jessep: I would appreciate it if he would address me as Colonel or Sir. I believe I've earned it.
Judge Randolph: Defense counsel will address the witness as Colonel or Sir.
Col. Jessep: [to Judge] I don't know what the hell kind of unit you're running here.
Judge Randolph: And the witness will address this court as Judge or Your Honor. I'm quite certain I've earned it. Take your seat, Colonel.
...
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Jessep: [shouts] You can't handle the truth!
...
Kaffee: You don't need a patch on your arm to have honor.

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104257/maindetails

Rating perso: 8.0/10

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire